Sometimes finding the right plants for your garden is half the battle of getting them planted!
The University of Minnesota's Plant Information Online database is a valuable tool for finding sources of plant materials, links to plant specific information, and much more. Created and maintained by library staff at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum's Andersen Horticultural Library, it is updated many times a day. Kathy Allen, Andersen Library's head librarian, highlights ways that the Plant Information Online database can be used, including as a resource to find:
- nurseries that specialize in certain plant materials (mail order)
- where to find or buy a particular plant (mail order)
- wholesale plant sources (hint: knowing local wholesalers may provide clues about local retail plant availability)
- nurseries or plant names (especially helpful when you can't remember the entire name)
- plant specific links to reliable web sites with images and information
- plant specific book and magazine citations listings